Recipe : Spent Grain Sourdough
If you have never tried the spent grain of a brew batch, you should. It has a very warm quality about it. Think…. hot cereal. Great cool weather ingredient.
We love to use it in baking sourdough.
Spent Grain Sourdough
Day 1: Mix 4 oz bran wheat flour, 2 oz bread flour and 5 oz water together. Cover and let sit at room temp for 24 hours
Day 2: Repeat process this time stir vigorously to oxygenate the starter. The yeast love this
Day 3: Repeat the process
Day 4: Your starter should be ready. Try baking a loaf of bread, see what happens!
1) Place starter and water in mixing bowl and stir until incorporated
2) Add the rest of the ingredients and using the hook attachment kneed for 7 to 10 minutes on medium speed. If using your hands it will prob be more like 20 to 30 minutes. Kneed until door becomes elastic and can pass the window pane test.
3) Transfer dough to a lightly greased container and let rest for one and a half hours
4) Punch down dough and let proof for another 2 hours or until dough has doubled in size
5) Scrap dough onto a floured surface and divide into 2 to 3 pieces. Roll each into a ball and place on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper and sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover with a damp towel and let proof until they double in size
6) Preheat oven to 450. Place a roasting pan on the bottom rack while preheating
7) When dough balls are ready remove the towel and sprinkle w/ flour. Score the tops with a razor blade, serrated knife or very sharp knife
8) Place in oven on the middle rack and drop a 1/2 cup of ice cubes into the roasting pan. Bake for 5 minutes and then repeat the process for a total of 2 more times.
9) Bread will be done when it sounds hallow when you tap it on the bottom. Should take 15 to 20 minutes
10) Let cool before cutting into